You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to end up in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and have a plan for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly morning.
- Compile supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace isn’t working. It might seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this occurs, flip the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use an alternate method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the pros at Kapaun & Brown Inc. a call at 641-812-2028 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.