Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Marshalltown, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Kapaun & Brown Inc. can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Kapaun & Brown Inc. in Marshalltown a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 641-812-2028 or arrange an appointment with us online.