As the temp increases, so does your air conditioning costs. To keep your air conditioning bills low you could be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Marshalltown?
It’s a popular belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is wasteful. This is actually not true.
Keeping your AC going all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We recommend adjusting your thermostat higher when you’re elsewhere, and turning it back down when you return. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do the work for you.
It’s far more laborious for your system to stay at a constant temperature for many hours. It can also result in a lot of wear and tear to your system, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it may also lead to a reduced life span for your AC unit.
In any case, the bigger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your AC expenses will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your energy bills low in the warm weather? Here are our ideas based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Boost Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Tweak Your Temperature. The DOE states that you can conserve up to 10% per year on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees when you’re away. In the hotter months, it’s advised to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s also important to forgo setting your thermostat to a colder setting than usual when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool down your house any quicker, it just causes bigger electric expenses. While these temperatures could seem warm, there are additional approaches to keep comfortable without having to always run the air conditioner.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can lessen energy by up to 14% during the course of the warmer months. It’s important to note that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Additionally, keeping blinds low and curtains closed for the duration of the day helps keep chilled air inside. There are also some window treatments intended to deliver added insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks all across a home permit cooler air to rapidly slip out and the heat to get in. This can lead to your AC having to work harder to keep your house cooler and your energy expenses to increase. Check that any gaps, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy mends for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Plan for Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your AC is always running at its most efficient. This permits our professionals to find simple issues before they become significant dilemmas. A maintained air conditioner is generally more efficient and might even last for a greater period of time.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest ways to assure comfort and efficiency is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively adapts the temperature based on your regular schedule. It works together with your smartphone to notice when you’re at home or elsewhere to optimize your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 every year on HVAC bills.
- Consider Replacing Your AC Unit. You can anticipate an adequately maintained AC unit to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re often calling us for air conditioning repair or your utility bills are rising with no shifts in thermostat settings, it may be time for an upgrade. We offer many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without trading comfort.
Enhance Your Home’s Energy Efficiency with Kapaun & Brown Inc.
No one likes to see their electricity bill rise during the warm months. If you’re in search of more ways to keep your energy usage and costs low this summer, our professionals can help. Reach us at 641-812-2028 or contact us online today for more info.