Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Kapaun & Brown Inc. in Marshalltown about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, setup regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Kapaun & Brown Inc.. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Kapaun & Brown Inc. about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not need exchanging.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Marshalltown home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Kapaun & Brown Inc. a call at 641-812-2028.