Summer and comfort are made for each other, but when you’re dealing with an air conditioner that isn’t giving the comfort you want, you may need to ponder air conditioner replacement. Take a few moments and think about this scenario: it’s only a few weeks in to the summer and you’re enjoying a stress-free day at home. As lunchtime rolls around, you recognize that it’s beginning to feel awfully warm inside. You check the thermostat and all looks to be well with the settings, but the temperature says 85 degrees.
It’s a possibility that you rode it out as much as you could, but now it’s time to call in a pro and uncover what’s wrong. So what does that mean for you as a homeowner? Well, there are a couple reasons that you may be facing air conditioner replacement. And considering the weather in Marshalltown, you don’t want to be caught without what might be the single most important piece of home comfort equipment you own.
Here are a few things you should be watching for if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Insufficient air flow. If you sense a change in air flow, check for a blocked return-air or supply-air grille. Be sure all of these grilles are not obstructed by furniture or other items.
- Non-working outdoor fan. If you go outside to view your air conditioner’s outdoor fan and it doesn’t run, you’ll want to give the experts at Kapaun & Brown Inc. in Marshalltown a call. That fan handles the transferring of heat from your home to the outdoors. If it doesn’t run, that heat transfer isn’t happening and can cause a number of issues, including overheating of the compressor and other potential internal damage.
- Outside obstructions. If your air conditioner is currently surrounded by shrubbery or other potential obstructions, there could be a concern with proper air flow to the unit. Over time this could also mean that dirt and debris end up clogging your system and damaging its cooling abilities. Make certain your system is free from obstructions and is cleaned routinely to potentially decrease your chances of needing air conditioner replacement.
- Dirty filters. One of the most common concerns that Kapaun & Brown Inc. runs in to is improperly cared for filters. Dirty filters not only decrease airflow, they can also impact your system’s efficiency and can drive up your monthly energy costs. They also affect air quality and when allergy season is in full-swing, a dirty filter can have a great impact on your home comfort.
If you have checked all of these and your air conditioner still isn’t operating, follow these step-by-step instructions, only moving to the next step if the system doesn’t start.
- Check that the thermostat temperature set-point is set below indoor temperature, and the system switch is in the COOL position.
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch "on"?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply "on"?
- Check the house fuse box/breaker box for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.
- If the system still does not operate, call Kapaun & Brown Inc. at 641-812-2028.
Having a broken air conditioner and dealing with air conditioner replacement doesn’t have to be a headache. Sure, your system may not be operating , but that’s why the pros at Kapaun & Brown Inc. in Marshalltown is here to help. Give us a call at 641-812-2028.